Windows 8 Ethernet configuration tweak, for optimal speed

The speed of data transfer over the intranet, in my office is pathetically bad. Initially, we are not sure why, though we all have a 100 Mbps capable Intel Ethernet adapter(s), wired with a twisted pair cable, with a bus topology. Then we checked the data transfer rate and it's around 120 kbps roughly within the internet, which we suspected that all the requests are forwarded to the router in Norway and is returned to the destination. So we ran a simple ping test and it confirmed that the network is not forwarding packets outside the subnet. Now we are too curious to see what could be the problem. Then we tested with the settings of the adapter and we ended with an interesting setting of the Ethernet adapter i.e. Speed & Duplex. Can be found under Network and Sharing -> Change adapter settings -> Right click Ethernet adapter -> Properties -> Configure -> Advanced -> Speed & Duplex ….

Phew ….

In the default mode, an Intel® Network Adapter using copper connections will attempt to auto-negotiate with its link partner to determine the best setting. In our case, the switch is configured with ~2Mbps which is then adapted by the network adapter. So we changed this to 100 Mbps full-duplex. And wow, we got a good network speed of ~11.8 MBps which is 100Mbps/8 = 11.8MB transfer speed.We were quite happy with this setting until we all migrated to windows 8. Suddenly things stopped working, i.e. we are not able to connect to the network. More analysis on this revealed us the following setting . i.e. Wait for Link, which basically decides whether the driver waits for Auto Negotiation to be successful before reporting the link state, and it seems that it is by default Off for link speed of "Auto", but should be On when the link speed is forced speed and Duplex. And changing that seem to do the fix. Am not sure if this should be fixed by Windows or the driver. But we were able to crack through it and find the problem. Another good chronicle in a wonderful day J